By YEET MAGAZINE |Updated 0200 GMT (1000 HKT) July 20, 2021
Home » Nutrition » Diet » The Indian Diet: The Best Plan For Weight Loss
Sati diet: Rules to follow and effectiveness of this diet inspired by Indian food.
Health questions: What is the Indian diet? Why eat an Indian plant-based diet? What are the food groups included in the Indian diet?
Also called the Indian diet , the sati diet consists of following a vegetarian diet using Indian food traditions as a basis, it can also be used by people who practice intermittent fasting. The Sati diet is based on the principle that it is better for the body to distribute 6 small meals during the day rather than consuming the usual three large ones.
It's a Indian Low Carb Diet
A low-carb recommended for weight loss is an eating pattern where you limit carb intake.
Although diets and preferences vary across India, most people follow a predominantly plant-based diet.
The Sati diet is inspired by traditional Indian food , and is essentially based on vegetarianism.
The typical sati diet menu consists of rice, grains, vegetables and dairy products. To choose the traditional Indian foods that make up your full Indian diet. It's very pratical when it comes to which diet to choose in order to lose accumulated belly fat.
About 80% of the Indian population practices Hinduism, a religion that promotes a vegetarian or lacto-vegetarian diet. The traditional Indian diet emphasizes consumption of plant foods such as vegetables, lentils and fruits, as well as low consumption of meat.
However, obesity is a growing problem among the Indian population. With the increasing availability of processed foods, India has seen a surge of this flood and chronic diseases linked to overweight like heart disease and diabetes.
This article explains how to follow a healthy Indian diet that can promote weight loss. It includes suggestions for foods to eat and to avoid and a sample menu for a week.
The Sati diet is considered the best Indian diet for weight loss but what food groups does it include and how to follow it?
Compared to Western diet where a person eats 3 big meals a day, followers of the the Sati diet eat five to six times a day: Indians generally eat six times a day.
Space out meals · Think about fruit for 30 minutes
Healthy traditional Indian food
The Indian Plant-Based Diet emphasizes fresh , whole ingredients , ideal foods for promoting optimal health.
Why eat an Indian plant-based diet?
There are many health benefits of plant-based diets. This type of diet can not only help reduce the risk of chronic disease, but it can also promote weight loss .
One can avoid for example heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers such as breast and colon cancer.
Moreover, the Indian diet, in particular, has been correlated with a reduction in the risk of Alzheimer's disease . According to the researchers, this is due to the decrease in meat consumption.
The diet food of India is rich in nutritious foods such as grains, lentils, fats ...Ayurvedic diet: a diet for slimming and health ...Principle of this diet · Eat fruits without meals, or at least 30 minutes before .
What are the food groups included in the Indian diet?
The Indian diet is rich in nutritious foods like grains, lentils, healthy fats, vegetables, dairy products, and fruits .
The diet of most Indians is heavily influenced by religion, especially Hinduism. The Hindu religion teaches non-violence and that all living things should be of equal value.
This is why a lacto-vegetarian diet is encouraged and the consumption of meat, poultry , fish and eggs is discouraged. Lacto-vegetarians, however, consume dairy products.
A healthy lacto-vegetarian diet should focus on grains, lentils, dairy products, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats like coconut oil .
Spices like turmeric, fenugreek, cilantro, ginger, and cumin are at the forefront of traditional dishes, adding rich flavor and powerful nutritional benefits.
Turmeric, one of the most widely used spices in India, is recognized for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-cancer properties.
A compound in turmeric called curcumin has been found to fight inflammation in the body, improve brain function, and reduce risk factors for heart disease.
Healthy foods to eat
There are many delicious foods and drinks to choose from when following a lacto-vegetarian diet for weight loss.
What to eat ?
Try incorporating the following ingredients into your daily meal plan:
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, mustard greens, okra, onions, bitter melon, cauliflower, mushrooms, cabbage, cabbage, etc.
- Fruits: Including mango, papaya, pomegranate, guava, oranges, tamarind, lychee, apples, melon, pears, plums, bananas , etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Cashews, almonds, peanuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds and more
- Legumes: Mung beans, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, lentils, legumes and chickpeas
- Roots and tubers: Potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams
- Whole grains: Brown rice, basmati rice, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, barley, corn, corn, wholemeal bread, amaranth, sorghum.
- Dairy: Cheese, yogurt, milk, kefir , ghee, ghee
- Herbs and Spices: Garlic, ginger, cardamom, cumin, cilantro, garam masala, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, fenugreek, basil and more
- Healthy fats: Coconut milk, whole milk, avocado, coconut oil, mustard oil, olive oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, ghee oil.
- Sources of protein: Tofu, legumes, dairy products, nuts and seeds
Meals and snacks should focus on fresh, whole foods flavored with herbs and spices.
Plus, adding non-starchy vegetables like green leafy vegetables, eggplants, or tomatoes to your meals will give you a boost in fiber that can help you feel full for a longer period of time after eating.
What to drink
An easy way to cut down on excess calories and sugar is to avoid sugary drinks and juices. These drinks can be high in calories, which leads to weight gain.
You should drink an average of 2 liters of water per day and green tea (the desired amount) without adding anything else.
Healthy drink options include:
- Sparkling water
- Unsweetened tea, including Darjeeling, Assam and Nilgiri teas.
Unhealthy foods to avoid
Avoiding sugary drinks, fast foods, fried foods, and products high in added sugar can help you lose weight and be healthier .
Choosing foods and drinks that are highly processed, high in sugar or high in calories can sabotage your weight loss efforts.
Not only are foods like candy, fried foods, and sodas not good for weight loss - they're not good for your overall health.
Eating too many processed foods and products loaded with sweeteners can increase the risk of chronic disease.
For example, daily consumption of sugary drinks like sodas, fruit punches, and fruit juices has been linked to an increased risk of diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
Plus, eating unhealthy foods can prevent you from losing fat and maintaining a healthy weight.
For optimal health, minimize the following foods or avoid them altogether:
- Sweet drinks: Soda, fruit juice, sweet tea, sweet lassi, sports drinks
- Foods high in sugar: Sweets, ice cream, cookies, rice pudding, pastries, cakes, sweet yogurt, cereals high in sugar, digestive cookies.
- Sweeteners: sugar, honey, honey, condensed milk
- Sweet sauces: Dressings with added sugar, ketchup, barbecue sauce, sweet curries.
- High Fat Foods: Fast food like McDonald's, French fries, French fries, potato chips, fried foods, bhujia
- Refined grains: Products including white bread, white pasta, cookies, etc.
- Trans fats: Margarine, vanaspati, fast food, highly processed foods
- Refined oils: Canola oil, soybean oil, corn oil, grape seed oil
While it's okay to indulge in a treat occasionally, it's best to limit the foods and drinks listed above to maintain overall health.
An example of a healthy Indian menu for a week
A healthy lacto-vegetarian meal plan should be high in vegetables, fruits, vegetarian protein sources, and healthy fats.
Below is an example of a week-long healthy Indian menu that emphasizes fresh and nutritious foods.
You can adjust it based on your calorie needs, dietary restrictions, and dietary preferences.
- Breakfast: Idli brown rice sambar
- Lunch: Whole grain roast with mixed vegetable curry
- Dinner: Tofu curry with mixed vegetables and fresh spinach salad
- Breakfast: Chana dal pancakes with a mixture of vegetables and a glass of milk
- Lunch: Chickpea curry with brown rice
- Dinner: Khichdi with Brussels sprout salad
- Breakfast: Apple, cinnamon and cinnamon porridge, made with milk and garnished with sliced almonds
- Lunch: Whole grain roast with tofu and mixed vegetables
- Dinner: Palak paneer with brown rice and vegetables
- Breakfast: Yogurt with sliced fruits and sunflower seeds
- Lunch: Whole grain roast made from vegetables
- Dinner: Chana masala with basmati rice and green salad
- Breakfast: Dalia with vegetables and a glass of milk
- Lunch: Sambar with vegetables and brown rice
- Dinner: Tofu curry with potatoes and various vegetables
- Breakfast: Multigrain Parathas with Avocado and Sliced Papaya
- Lunch: Large salad with rajma and quinoa curry
- Dinner: Pancakes with lentils and tofu tikka masala
- Breakfast: Buckwheat porridge with sliced mango
- Lunch: Vegetable soup with whole grain roast
- Dinner: Tofu cooked in masala with vegetable curry
- Drinking water, seltzer, or unsweetened tea with and between meals will keep you hydrated without adding extra calories.
Make sure you get plenty of non-starchy vegetables with every meal, as well as healthy sources of fat and protein.
You will feel full throughout the day, which will reduce the chances of overeating.
Healthy snack options
When choosing a snack, choose a nutritious option that is low in sugar and high in nutrients. Vegetables, fruits, cheese, nuts, seeds, and unsweetened yogurt are all great snack choices.
Replacing high calorie, sugary snacks with healthier options can promote weight loss and help keep you on track to achieving your goals.
Like meals, nutritious snacks should revolve around fresh, whole ingredients.
Here are some friendly snack ideas for weight loss:
- Small handful of nuts
- Fruit slices with unsweetened yogurt
- vegetable salad
- Sprout salad
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Sliced fruit with nuts or nut butter
- Roasted chickpeas (channa)
- Hummus with vegetables
- Bean salad
- Salted popcorn
- Unsweetened kefir
- Fennel seeds
- Fresh fruit with cheese
- Vegetable soup with broth
If you fancy a sweet snack to accompany evening tea, swapping out your usual dessert for some fresh sliced fruit might do the trick.
For another healthy dessert option, top unsweetened yogurt with cooked fruit and crunchy nuts for a satisfying combination.
Smart ways to lose weight
Besides focusing on fresh, whole foods, there are other lifestyle changes that can help you lose weight.
Being more active, eating a healthy diet, and remembering your health and wellness goals are great tools that can help you stay on track.
Plus, adopting the following healthy habits can help you maintain a healthy weight throughout your life.
- Increase activityTo create the calorie loss that is the source of your weight loss, it is essential to increase your daily physical activities.
- Find an activity you enjoy, whether it's a sport or a workout at the gym.
Even if you don't exercise formally, try to increase the number of steps you take each day. It's an easy way to burn more calories and get in shape.
To lose weight, aim for a goal of 10,000 steps per day and work toward that goal over time.
- Practice Mindful Eating
Many people eat in a hurry or consume meals while they are distracted.
Instead, be sure to focus on your meals and pay attention to feelings of hunger and fullness. It's a great way to be more in tune with your body.
Eating more slowly can also promote weight loss because it increases feelings of fullness and therefore decreases hunger.
Another useful habit for controlling your food intake is to avoid eating in front of the television or while surfing the web.
- Make smart choices
Eating healthy can be a challenge, so set goals ahead of time and stick to them.
It can help you stick to your plan, even if you're tempted to make an unhealthy food choice, such as when going out with friends or family .
- Reminding yourself of why you want to be healthier to begin with will help you feel more empowered to make informed diet and lifestyle decisions.
A shopping list for successful weight loss:
- Having ingredients on hand to prepare nutritious meals and snacks at home is essential for weight loss.
- So stock up your refrigerator and pantry with healthy foods. It will motivate you to test your cooking skills and try new recipes.
- Research shows that people who cook more meals at home are more likely to have an overall better quality of food, a healthier weight, and less body fat than those who eat meals at home infrequently.
Here are some healthy items to add to your shopping list:
- Vegetables: Greens, cauliflower, herbs, carrots, peppers, garlic, garlic, eggplant
- Fruits: Apples, strawberries, mangoes, papayas, bananas, grapes .
- Frozen products: Various vegetables and frozen fruits
- Cereals: Oats, millet, quinoa, whole grain bread, brown rice
- Legumes: Lentils, legumes, beans
- Nuts: Almonds, pistachios, cashews
- Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, lotus seeds
- Dairy: Milk, unsweetened yogurt, unsweetened kefir, cheese, curd.
- Condiments: Sea salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, paprika, cinnamon
- Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, pumpkin, corn
- Proteins: Tofu, dairy products, legumes, hummus
- Healthy fats: olive oil , coconut unsweetened, coconut oil, ghee, sesame oil, avocado, peanut butter.
- Drinks: Green tea, coffee, sparkling water, Darjeeling tea
Buy grains, nuts, and seeds in bulk to save money and stock up on the staple foods you use regularly.
Plus, avoid tempting foods by making a grocery list and only buying the items you've written down ahead of time.
Cooking more meals at home will save you money and experiment in the kitchen. It can even help you lose weight. To get started, make a grocery list filled with fresh, nutritious foods.
The basics on the Indian diet
Following an Indian lacto-vegetarian diet is a great way to lose weight.
It will help you reduce your intake of sugary foods and drinks, eat more vegetables, and increase your protein intake . Add regular exercise to your diet to improve your health and lose even more weight.
Incorporating just one or two of the foods or lifestyle changes listed above into your routine can help you be healthier and happier.
- Healthy traditional Indian food
- Why eat an Indian plant-based diet?
- What are the food groups included in the Indian diet?
- Healthy foods to eat
- What to eat ?
- What to drink
- Unhealthy foods to avoid
- An example of a healthy Indian menu for a week
- Healthy snack options
- Smart ways to lose weight
- The basics on the Indian diet
- BMI calculation
- This Indian cookbook is your next cookbook